Retiring Your Metadata Shoehorn
Patrick Durusau – His paper is not in the proceedings for 2007 (it is Late Breaking)
Patrick seems to have a reputation that precedes him. There are more laughs in this room in the first 5 minutes than any other session I’ve been in so far.
Content Tagging to attach metadata at the element level.
Conversion of metadata for round tripping between two complex XML models.
Extrinsic Metadata – recording of metadata seperate from document content
IP – granular application of IP claims within a document
Templates – associate with a particular template
Ontology validation – support for validation by user of metadata
He mentions many more use cases but I just can’t type as fast as he is talking…and comprehend the discussion. I knew I should have taken keyboarding in college.
Metdata manifest – manages linkage between source and target metadata (maps XML IDs to UDIs)
- enumerates metadata files and the relationships to other files in the Opendocument package
- it associates OpenDocument elements of the document to IRIs in the metadata files
- Semantics are defined by an OWL ontology
- classes for: content.xml, styles.cml, metadata files, ODF elements
- manifest.rdf (stored at root of the package)
ODF elements and content (target)
- odf:idref and URI of its rdf:about attribute
- Accessiblity means that they attached metadata to many many elements (making it as open as possible)
- RDF/a-like metadata is allowed as well, for greater accessibility as well
Content based on metadata
- contains any paragraph content, including another text:meta-field
- content is generated by the application
Unlimited number of metadata files (source)
- RDF vocabulary of terms (metadata file)
- users enter the text (content.xml file)
- metadata manifest ‘links’ to these files
- a ‘smart'; search engine adds information found in the RDF vocabulary
- Explodes the impression that hand entry is necessary to us RDF (or any other semantic technology)
Future of Robust Metadata:
- OpenDocument increases the unknowing use of XML
- OpenDocument Format metadata has the potential to greatly increas the use of RDF based metadata for documents.
- Will appear in openDocument format 1.2 (http://www.oasis-open.org)
“It is possible to find a user stupid enough to break anything”Explore posts in the same categories: extrememarkup, extrememarkup07